Sunday, October 5, 2014

TOW #5 "Emma Watson UN Speech" (Article)

A few weeks ago at the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador event Emma Watson delivered a speech addressing feminism. In this speech she launched a campaign called HeForShe, encouraging gender equality. She emotionally expressed the hardships and inequalities women face every single day, everywhere in the world. During her 15-minute speech, she outlined the campaign HeForShe, and addressed misconceptions about the topic of feminism, and gender and sex issues. Right off the bat, being a girl gives Emma the credibility to speak about gender inequality. She has faced these issues herself and knows how other women are feeling. Also being Emma Watson, the name itself gives her an immense amount of credibility. She’s been seen all over the world, lighting up the screens in Harry Potter as well as various renowned movies. Her purpose of the speech concluded that feminism is not just for women, and men should speak out against it too. The main goal of the speech was awareness, making girls and boys everywhere aware of the gender inequality in the 21st century. In order to persuade listeners and convey her message Emma Watson used rhetorical devices. One of the most prominent strategies was the use of anaphora. I am from Britain and think it is right that as a woman I am paid the same as my male counterparts. I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body. I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and decision-making of my country. I think it is right that socially I am afforded the same respect as men”
This was aimed to capture the audience’s attention through the emphasis, and rhythm.
 I think it’s very effective that a household name spoke upon this current issue. Emma Watson’s speech offered me a chance to open my eyes about this issue, along with men and women all over the world. Emma delivered the speech beautifully and sent her message across magically. Hopefully change will be happening soon, and after this speech I am sure more people will become aware of this matter.


No comments:

Post a Comment