Tuesday, June 2, 2015

TOW #29 Letter to a new APELC student

Dear future APELC students,
     Although the journey was difficult, strenuous and even at times seemed impossible, I stand here as a survivor from room L08. To be to the point this class may be one of the most difficult courses you will encounter in your high school career- but don't panic if I made it, you can too! Even though this course was challenging it was a truly intriguing experience. There will be times in this class where you will be shaken up a bit but your hard work and dedication will all pay off in the end and transform your writing skills.
     On the first week back from class we received our first summer essay scores, during this time my confidence in my writing was at an all time low. Although I doubted my writing from then on by the end of this class there has been a surge in my writing skills. I can truly see a change in my style of writing and comprehension of texts. When you enter APELC you should have an open mindset and be willing to accept lower grades than you are used to getting. On our first day Mr. Yost told us students who usually get A's might be getting B's, and B's may be getting C's. Of course grades matter but don't stress about the grades instead worry about the quality of your work. Once your time is put into the quality of your pieces your grades will automatically improve. But also remember to not let your grades define you. Just by signing up for this class you have shown the type of person you are, hardworking, committed, and passionate.
       My biggest piece of advice is do not be afraid to ask for help!!! I wish I started this year asking for help when I needed it. The best way to get the grade you want is to work with those grading your essays and get their advice about the structure and content of your essay. Its no secret that junior year is hard, so make sure to balance your time and make time to meet with Ms. Pronko and Mr. Yost.
       My favorite thing in class is not a popular favorite but I truly enjoyed timed essays. Although the thought of timed essay writing seems scary and stressful (which it is) the reinforcement of writing in a timed setting truly pays off! The amount of times we have practiced timed essays in class has helped me boost my confidence on writing for the actual AP test and even helped with the SAT. Symposiums are also a very interesting part of class. Honestly everything done in this class has felt very rewarding by the end.
      Lastly BE POSITIVE! Don't let preconceived opinions get in the way of how you work in the class. Cherish interesting moments (times like Toga day) in class because although it is rigorous if you have the right attitude you can have a good time in it!
      Now go on and simply do your best!!! Now in the wise words of Mr. Yost "Relax it's only school."

Sincerely,
APELC survivor Deeksha Kandan


No comments:

Post a Comment